Make-Your-Own Hollow Chocolate Eggs
An environmentally friendly treat
Do you feel a little pang of environmental guilt every year when you throw out dozens of small plastic eggs left behind by the kids at Easter time? Here’s a way to re-use those plastic eggs that is sure to be a hit! Create your own hollow chocolate eggs that you can fill with your favorite filling, or leave hollow if you like pure chocolate. Pair these up with chocolate bunny pops and pop them into a nicely decorated basket for a collection of delectable homemade Easter treats!
18 plastic Easter eggs
Chocolate wafer melts
Oil-based flavors like coffee, vanilla, hazelnut or cinnamon
- Clean 18 plastic eggs in soapy water; rinse and allow them to dry completely.
- Spray inside of eggs with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place 8 oz chocolate wafers into a microwaveable container and heat on high for 45 seconds to 1 minute. Stir and return to microwave for 15 second intervals as needed to melt chocolate. Be careful not to scorch the chocolate.
- Place 1 - 1 1/2 tbsp chocolate into the bottom half of one egg. Close the egg ensuring the two halves are secure.
- Swirl chocolate to coat inside of the egg for 30 seconds until coating has hardened.
- Repeat with remaining eggs.
- Open eggs and carefully release the eggs from the plastic surrounds.
- If desired, you can fill the eggs with your choice of filling (see below for peanut butter and fruit filling recipes). Poke a tiny hole in the bottom of the egg. Fill a resealable plastic bag with filling and snip a tinier hole in the bottom corner of the bag. Place the corner of the bag inside the hole in the egg and squeeze the flavorful filling into the egg. Let the filling set.
- Use a paintbrush to cover the hole in the bottom of the egg.
Peanut butter filling
Thoroughly mix 1 cup confectioner’s sugar, 3/4 cup of creamy peanut butter, 1/4 cup softened unsalted butter and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract. Squeeze into chocolate egg.
Melt 1 cup of chocolate wafers in the microwave following recipe directions. Beat 8 oz cream cheese until smooth and add the melted chocolate, 1/2 cup of seedless jam and 1 tbsp of matching fruity liqueur. Beat until blended. Squeeze into chocolate egg.